planting seedlings

March is here which means one thing, time to plant our seeds. Deciding to get sorted we got our tools out of the shed, and kids in their wellies and headed off down the garden.

I had purchased biodegradable seed trays instead of plastic ones. Although the plastic ones can be used again I find that they break down so quickly and then have to go into landfill.
I purchased my fibre biodegradable trays but you could use old card egg boxes, eggshells, or even newspapers using wooden pot maker tools.
My children filling the trays with soil

The first thing we needed to do was fill the trays almost to the top with soil. I used the soil from my raised border which is a mix of soil from my garden and soil conditioner/compost mix that I added to it in autumn. You could use any soil: potting soil, compost, or garden soil. The children enjoyed filling the pots as they love digging in the mud. After they had filled, I lightly patted the soil down to compress but not too much that the roots won't be able to grow down.



My son putting the seeds in the trays


all the seeds in the trays
The next job was to add the seeds, we planted dwarf beans (also known as french beans), long beans (apparently these are like french beans but can grow up to 8 inches long), peas, and baby corn. we put 3 seeds in each compartment of the seed trays. Although I seemed to spend most of my time picking up the seeds dropped by the children and taking out the extra ones thrown into the trays.



Next, after I had spaced the seeds out in the trays so they weren't all in one corner, we put some more soil on top to cover the seeds. This part didn't go quite so smoothly as my daughter decided to just pile the soil in the middle of the tray rather than a little on each section (but can't be too mad she's only 3 and trying her best to be involved) so I spread out the soil and again lightly compressed the soil.
My daughter topping off the trays (taken before she made her pile)

Next, my least favourite part with the children, the job is to delicately water the seedlings. This
instruction given to children means dump all the water onto the trays as quickly as possible and drown them. oh well at least it's done I guess.
watering or flooding
Our seeds tucked in bed

Finally we put them into bed in our cold frame, should keep them warm and protected. You can also grow your seeds in your house by a window, or in a shed as long as it's by a window with lots of light. Or you could plant in a few weeks when it's slightly warmer straight into the ground or pots outside.




Our friend Mr Worm


The last job for today was to weed and turn over the soil in the raised border, as it has become very compacted and hard with all the rain we have had this winter. I explained to the children that we wanted to take out the weeds before they grew too big, then showed them how to dig them up and shake off the dirt. It was at this point we came across a little garden friend I put him on my hand to show the children. They enjoyed seeing the worm but instead thought he was to go back to his home so back into the soil he went. But it would seem this distraction was too much and they both gave up at this point and left me to do the rest by myself. 

Hopefully, in the coming weeks, we will see the seeds begin to emerge.

good gardening everyone!



Comments