Making grass tyre seats

A couple of years ago I saved the 4 tyres from my car to grow beans in, last year we kept my husband's and they have been sitting in my garden waiting to be used. After moving our raised veg patch we had a large bare patch of grass between our fig tree and bay tree. I was thinking of getting a bench for the garden then decided to use the tyres instead. Today seemed like a good day to do this, as I was also removing grass to make a plant border so the grass could be used around the tyres to set them in place.

Tyres after levelling the ground
Step one was to flatten and even out the ground as there was still a lot of soil leftover from the raised border. Then place the tyres in the soil and firm down. The excess soil went into the tyres, you have to push the soil into the curves so the soil will depress over time.


Before removing the grass
The next stage was to lift the grass from where I am planning on having some more bee-friendly plants. I have to admit this was when I had to get my husband involved as he puts it "in the garden, I'm the brain and he's the brawn".
New plant border

Once we lifted all the grass we started to lay this around the tyres. Then some into the top of the tyres so the centre of them is full and you have nice soft grass to sit on.



We have managed to fill 1 stack completely and topped with grass. we will get the second one filled when we dig our second border next weekend.
Tyres with the grass re-laid and first tyre filled and grass-topped


Marking out ground and cutting
Lifting the turf



We also had 1 tyre that is different to the rest this one we did similar to these making a small grass tyre seat between our two plum trees


With this one, we marked out where the tyre was going cutting out with an edge cutting tool. Then lifted the grass, we did this in two parts as we wanted to use the grass later.

We then dug over the soil and set the tyre into the ground then filled the tyre to the top of the tyre leaving just enough room for the grass to go in


Tyre in place topped with grass
My plan for this tyre is to plant some willow around it and weave a live wigwam around it. I will keep you up to date as this project grows. 
good gardening everyone!

Comments